Links for all things mentioned or used in post:
Order today and you can get all items here by tomorrow or Monday at latest! Recipes: Trader Joe’s Coffee BBQ Rub // Sweet Baby Ray’s Sauce // Sanding Sugar // Blue Mason Jars Large // Blue Mason Jars Small // Red Straws // Blue Straws
Howdy y’all and happy Fri-YAY!! As we gear up for the long holiday weekend, I thought I’d share some quick and easy recipes for any BBQ or backyard party that y’all can made at the last darn second. For all you super busy peeps and procrastinators out there…I’ve got you covered. Tip: Everything you see below can be made the day before! Yay!!! Then you can relax and not worry about tryna be Rachel Ray on the day of your BBQ!! Plus, scroll down to the bottom for a fun, last-minute decorating tip!!
To me nothing says BBQ like some juicy and delicious BBQ chicken. #amiright I’m gonna let you in on a lil’ secret…see the recipe below??? You don’t HAVE to actually make the BBQ sauce from scratch!! I have a secret weapon of how I get my BBQ chx to taste divine and keep em’ coming back for more. The trick is to mix BBQ sauce AND BBQ rub. The best combo that I have come to find it using Trader Joe’s Coffee and BBQ rub and either my homemade BBQ sauce recipe below OR if you don’t feel like making it from scratch, use Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory and Brown Sugar Sauce.
Best Backyard BBQ Chx Recipe:
- Trim the fat off of about 1lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Liberally, use Trader Joe’s rub on each side of chicken. Make sure to cover all parts of the chicken breast
- Place chicken breasts in a gallon ziplock bag.
- Squeeze one to two whole bottles of Sweet Baby Ray’s sauce into bag. (you can never use too much. Any extra in the bag will be used for basting during the grill process. So, go crazy!!!)
- Marinate overnight if possible! If not, at least a few hours in the fridge.
- Cook over medium heat on grill, basting with more sauce as you cook. Depending on thickness of breasts, usually takes about 15 -20 mins, flipping once. (we rotate every five minutes a ½ turn to get the “grill marks” on chicken)
Homemade BBQ Sauce (if y’all are feeling fancy)
Combine these ingredients in a bowl and mix!! 1 and 1/2 cups of ketchup, 1/4 prepared yellow mustard, 1/4 cup of honey OR brown sugar (you can also add salt to taste, start with 1/4 tsp. )
Tasty Tater Skins Recipe
- Wash and dry potatoes as oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Wrap each tater in foil and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for about 1 hour or until tater can be pierced with a fork fairly easily.
- While taters are baking pan fry about 1 lb. of bacon
- Once bacon is crisp, pat dry on paper towel to remove grease. Then, chop coarsely with knife. Keep to the side for later.
- Take taters out of oven and let cool for about 5 mins.
- Unwrap each tater and cut down the middle, lengthwise.
- Scoop out ¾ of tater pulp from each half. (keep pulp for later. I use mine to either make mashed taters or twice-baked taters, yum!)
- Tip: Once the pulp is removed, I baste the top of each tater half with olive oil. This helps the tater get nice and crispy.
- Next, add your shredded cheddar (don’t be shy with it!) and freshly chopped bacon bits)
- Last, you either cook these bad boys in the oven for about 20 mins or throw them on the grill like we do! On the grill, they take about 15 mins and get a nice, crispy, smoky flavor.
- Top em’ off with some sour cream and chives…and dig in!
Variation: If you are into sweet taters: I follow the exact same recipe…then, instead of cheddar i add goat cheese. Add bacon…and voila…you get a sweet, smoky and healthier option!!!
Super Simple and Patriotic S’mores Recipe
- Grease the bottom of any glass pan. You honestly can use any size glass pan for this…square or rectangle. The only thing that it will change is how many chocolate squares and marshmallows you will use.
- Line the bottom of pan with Hershey’s chocolate squares. I used 4 full bars in my pan. 3 of the bars I did not even have to break apart. The fourth one, I broke into single pieces and arranged it in the open spaces I had left.
- As seen in the picture, I made three small bowls of sanding sugar in the colors of red, white, and blue.
- I originally started off dipping a full marshmallow in water and then dipping in the sand to coat, then used kitchen shears to cut in half. I found this to be very tedious and it did not turn out how I wanted it to, soooooo…I decided to cut the marshmallows in half first using kitchen shears.
- Once each marshmallow is cut in half, the “cut” side is VERY sticky and you can just dip it in the sand.
- I started with blue and made the 3 x 3 corner part of flag. Then, continued on row by row, alternating with red and white, covering the chocolate layer.
- Once you have the whole flag ready, either refrigerate to use the next day (don’t worry about marshmallows getting hard bc they will be melting in the oven!) or bake in 450 degree oven for about 7-9 minutes or until mixture is gooey and marshmallows are starting to turn brown.
- Enjoy by dipping graham crackers OR pretzels in ooey gooey goodness!
Easy and Festive 4th of July Decor Tip:
Buy colored blue mason jars like the ones seen in the pic. Then, head to Produce Junction or Trader Joe’s or both to buy red, white, and blue flowers to fill them. I also use the smaller version of the jars for drinks and storing straws etc. Total cost for this decor tip: Less than 30 bucks for everything!!! Yay!!!